History / Information
St Margaret’s is one of the oldest churches in the City of Durham, dating from the mid-12th century with a beautiful churchyard covering several acres of land.

St Margaret
Over the porch of the church door is the figure of St Margaret of Antioch, the patron saint of the church. Margaret lived in Antioch (in Syria) in the 3rd–4th Century AD. Born the daughter of a pagan priest, she converted to Christianity (which was a forbidden faith according to the laws of the Roman Empire). For this, she was arrested, imprisoned and eventually put to death. At her execution, Margaret was said to have preached so powerfully that many of those watching became Christians themselves, moved by her words, by her bravery and by her faith.
She is pictured holding a cross lodged in the mouth of a defeated dragon. It is said that Margaret, while in prison, was swallowed by a dragon (the devil in disguise); but that the cross that Margaret held lodged in the dragon’s throat forcing him to spit her out. This tale stands as a powerful metaphor for the Christian belief that Christ, by his cross and resurrection, has triumphed over evil and death.
Margaret is Patron Saint of Childbirth, and is one of the saints known as the ‘Fourteen Holy Helpers’. Her Feast Day is 20th July.
Church Building
St Margaret’s is one of the oldest churches in the City of Durham, dating from the mid-12th century.
The first church, of c.1150, may have comprised a nave with clerestory above, south aisle, chancel and possibly a low western tower. The south aisle arcade of this church still survives.
The north aisle was added c.1195 in a much lighter and more graceful Norman architecture, anticipating the coming Gothic style, but still with many traditional 12th-century details.
The south aisle was rebuilt in 1343 and in the 15th century the church was greatly improved with a new tower, clerestory and chancel chapels.
Population increases during later centuries were accommodated in galleries, all swept away in Victorian restorations (1865 and 1877-80). Many of the early church furnishings may have disappeared at this time, although the font survives, of 12th-century date and made of Frosterley marble.


Architectural Features
The South Arcade – i.e. the arches and columns on the south side of the Nave – formed part of the original building. Look out for the unusual carving on top of the easternmost column (above the modern statue of the Madonna & child). Is it a man… or is it a rabbit?
The North Arcade was built some forty years after its counterpart on the south, and is quite a bit taller. (St Oswald’s Church, on the other side of the city, has a very similar arcade and it is probable that they shared the same builder).
The Chancel Arch is also original. It may well have been built by Hugh du Puiset (Bishop of Durham 1153-97), whose arches were notoriously unstable. Certainly it has a rather sunken aspect, and has been strengthened and reinforced at various stages over the centuries.
Either side of the arch are squints, which give people in the aisles a clear view of the altar.
The Font is 12th-century, and may well be contemporary with the original building. It is of Frosterley marble – a local stone containing many fossils.
Two Norman Windows also survive, smaller and narrower than all the others: one on the north wall of the Chancel, the other in the south-west corner of the Nave (the County’s only remaining Norman clerestory window).
The Lady Chapel dates from the 15th century; prior to that date another chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary stood on the site, together with a chantry to St Thomas a Becket.
The Tower also dates from the fifteenth century and contains three bells, two of them mediaeval, the other 16th-century. The old wooden bell-frame is still in situ, though the bells are now fixed to a steel joist.
Furnishings and other items
In the centre of the Nave floor is an interesting slab memorial to Sir John Duck (aka “Durham’s Dick Whittington”) and his wife. Duck had arrived in the city penniless, and became a butcher’s apprentice. Over the years he rose to be a successful butcher and coal-owner; in time he married his master’s daughter, became mayor of the city and was eventually knighted by Charles II.
The Madonna and Child on the pillar by the Lady Chapel dates from the 1990s. It was sculpted by a local man, Brian Scraton, and is designed to reflect universal motherhood. The poet Gordon Jackson wrote a poem inspired by the Madonna and Child statue in St Margaret’s, which has now been set to music. It can be listened to here.
Most of the woodwork in the Church is Victorian though the wood of the pews is older, having been recycled from the ‘box pews’ that formerly filled the Church. The furniture in the Lady Chapel was given in memory of parishioners who fell in the Second World War.
The organ is a fine instrument by the famous Durham firm of Harrison & Harrison, built in 1917 (Arthur Harrison was Churchwarden at the time). Arthur Yockney, the then headmaster of St Margaret’s School, carved the woodwork for the case. There are 1,276 pipes in the organ. Find out more about our organ by following this link.

Churchyard
St Margaret of Antioch Church is very fortunate in having an extensive Churchyard of over six acres of green space, which has a rich history dating back many centuries. It is also a valuable haven for wildlife and a place of peace and tranquillity for local residents and visitors. The earliest indication for an area either earmarked for a churchyard, or as an actual churchyard, occurs in a Medieval deed dated 13th November 1341. The original Churchyard surrounding the Church was consecrated in 1431 and is now known as the Church Garth. (This is currently used only for the burial of cremated remains.)
When this area grew too small, an additional burial ground (a large orchard) was purchased behind South Street in 1820. Another two acres attached to the church were added to the Churchyard in 1845.
These areas were closed by Order in Council in February 1899, and are known as the ‘Old Churchyard’. This is the wild, hilly area, as indicated on the map (2. & 3.), between South Street and Grape Lane, and contains many mature trees and an unusual grave monument. However, many of the gravestones in this area were moved to the edge to create an open space for public benefit (under the terms of the Open Spaces Act, 1906).

The ‘New Churchyard’ was conveyed in 1875 and consecrated soon after (1888). Finally, a narrow strip of land immediately behind the Crossgate houses was consecrated in 1933. These areas (4. & 5. on the map) were in use for burials for most of the twentieth century and comprise a large area of sloping ground behind Crossgate, between Grape Lane and stretching up to Margery Lane and running alongside St Margaret’s allotments. There are eight registered war graves in the ‘New Churchyard’. These graves are marked by Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstones and are all of the same pattern. All burials are recorded in the Church registers. St Margaret’s Church holds a Register of Burials since the 1940s; the earlier registers are kept in Durham County Record Office (please see their website for details of these holdings).
Although there is no public right of way through the Churchyard, except along Grape Lane, members of the public are welcome to visit and use the space, respecting it as a place of burial and remembrance. It should be noted that the grounds and paths are uneven in places. The maintenance of the Churchyard, including all paths and boundary walls, is the responsibility of Durham County Council under the terms of the Local Government Act (1972), although the land remains in the ownership of the church.

The ‘New Churchyard’ was conveyed in 1875 and consecrated soon after (1888). Finally, a narrow strip of land immediately behind the Crossgate houses was consecrated in 1933. These areas (4. & 5. on the map) were in use for burials for most of the twentieth century and comprise a large area of sloping ground behind Crossgate, between Grape Lane and stretching up to Margery Lane and running alongside St Margaret’s allotments. There are eight registered war graves in the ‘New Churchyard’. These graves are marked by Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstones and are all of the same pattern. All burials are recorded in the Church registers. St Margaret’s Church holds a Register of Burials since the 1940s; the earlier registers are kept in Durham County Record Office (please see their website for details of these holdings).
Although there is no public right of way through the Churchyard, except along Grape Lane, members of the public are welcome to visit and use the space, respecting it as a place of burial and remembrance. It should be noted that the grounds and paths are uneven in places. The maintenance of the Churchyard, including all paths and boundary walls, is the responsibility of Durham County Council under the terms of the Local Government Act (1972), although the land remains in the ownership of the church.
The Friends of St Margaret’s Church (FoSMC) was formed in 2018 at the suggestion of a local allotment holder and under the auspices of the Parochial Church Council. A wildlife survey was commissioned from the Durham Wildlife Services and meetings were arranged with members of Durham County Council with a view to clearing vegetation to make the gravestones more accessible. Durham Bird Club has helped to install bird boxes and monitor nesting birds. During the Pandemic involving volunteers was necessarily limited but, in addition to clearing some vegetation in the Churchyard, wildflowers were seeded and bulbs and perennials were planted in the beds around the Church Garth. Grants have been awarded to help purchase tools and other equipment. A FaceBook group (FoSMC) was set up in 2021 and has recruited a growing number of volunteers who meet at monthly intervals to plant and clear paths and overgrowth. Durham University Student Volunteering and Outreach Team have also been recruited. Some initial research has been undertaken relating to the soldiers who are buried in the War Memorial Graves. Recently, FoSMC, in collaboration with members of St Margaret’s Allotments, have set up a multi-faceted project to clear, map and record grave markers and headstone inscriptions in the Churchyard as well as identifying those buried who may have an unmarked grave. Volunteers are being sought to assist with different aspects of this project.
The Churchyard has been identified as part of the Emerald Network (http://npf.durhamcity.org.uk/the-plan/chapter-4/theme-2b/policy-g3) which comprises sites of wildlife interest within our neighbourhood linked by public rights of way or pavements. The purpose of identifying this necklace of green gems is to support improvements to the biodiversity of the sites, accessibility for people with a disability and to encourage visitors for the leisure and health benefits which they offer.
Sources:
– Parish of St. Margaret of Antioch, Durham: A digest of the legal history of St. Margaret’s Church, Churchyards and other properties. Carter, Phyllis. 1994.
– St. Margaret of Antioch, Durham website; www.stjam.f9.co.uk




Historic Crossgate
St Margaret’s Church sites at the bottom of Crossgate, the ancient route west from the City , on a bluff overlooking Framwellgate Bridge. Crossgate is one of the oldest streets in Durham and is so named because it connects the city centre with Neville’s Cross (where the remains of a stone cross still stand by the side of the road: a reminder that Crossgate was for a long time a pilgrimage route for those travelling to Durham to venerate the relics of St Cuthbert).
It is very likely that from early times there had been dwellings in the Crossgate area and the surrounding neighbourhood, possibly even before the community of St Cuthbert in 995 established itself on the peninsula. Whether these early inhabitants of Crossgate had a church of their own is not known, and if they had it may well have been destroyed in 1096 when, after Earl Robert de Comines and his men were slain by the Durham people, William the Conqueror ruthlessly punished the citizens and ravaged the neighbourhood of Durham City.
After the arrival of William de St Calais as Bishop of Durham and the establishment of a community of Benedictine monks in 1092, the lands belonging to the community of St Cuthbert were in due course divided out between the Bishop and the Prior of the head of the community of monks. The Borough of Crossgate, or the “Old Borough” as it was called, came into the possession of the Prior. Crossgate was growing in importance, for the next Bishop of Durham, Rannulf Flambard, built a bridge linking the area to the wealthy peninsula.
St Margaret’s Church was first established in the 12th century as a Chapel of Ease for the inhabitants of Crossgate who did not wish to go out of the Borough to attend the Mother Church of St Oswald’s in Church Street. The church became an independent parochial chapel in 1431. The Parish included Crossgate Moor, Milburngate and the entire Framwellgate area, as far north as Finchale, until the 19th century.

St Margaret’s is clearly visible on John Speed’s 17th-century map of Durham, on which familiar landmarks such as the Cathedral, Castle, Market Place and the other ancient City Churches are clearly identifiable. The street pattern, too, remains relatively unchanged to this day.




